Project Resist Fear & The Art of Giving Back
November 8, 2018-January 5, 2019
Opening Reception: November 8, 5:30-7:30
The Art Center Highland Park (TAC) is searching for artists who incorporate an element of service in their work, through a specific project or in their concept, practice and/or intent. There is much known about social entrepreneurs, those who bridge business and social enterprise. Where does the role of art and/or the artist fit? While art often reflects social issues, we see a trend that artists are moving towards enacting change with a social consciousness. TAC hopes to facilitate partnerships to build on giving back to the community.
Guest Juror: Kelly Mathews
The Intersection of Art and Service will be shown in conjunction with Kelly Mathews’ Project- Resist Fear; “a multiphased effort to confront our fears.” In phase 1, Kelly invites the community to write down fears and then walk away. In Phase 2, she “buries” the fears under a thick layer of black wax. She then scrapes back the words “RESIST FEAR” to show a small portion of the writings. As she creates a room full of “Resist Fear” panels, viewers will know that they are not alone in their fight to resist their fears. In phase 3, the panels for sale @ $200/square foot will share a portion of the proceeds to keep “RESIST FEAR” going, while the other portion will go to the charity of the buyers choice…”whatever you choose to help fight your fears.”
- The entry fee is $35 for 3 pieces of work. All entries must be received by October 12, 2018 at 5:00pm.
- A limited number of artists who experience financial hardship may be exempt from paying the entry fee; please send us an email to request a fee waiver: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Open to all media and all artists 18 years and older. No work may exceed 48′ wide (framed) and 48′ length, or be more than 50 lbs. Installations will be considered please describe details.
- All entries must include an artist statement.
- Works should be for sale and TAC will retain a commission of 35% for any sales during or as a result of the show.
- All work must be available for the full duration of the exhibition.
- All work must be original and may not have been exhibited at TAC previously.
The important dates for the show are as follows:
October 12, 2018, 5:00pm: Entry Deadline
October 17, 2018: Notifications Sent
November 5, 2018: Work must be delivered to TAC between 9:00 AM and 4 PM.
November 5, 2018: Shipped artwork must arrive at TAC by this day.